05 August 2009

After a Night at the Drive-in Movies

I just got back from seeing "Funny People" at the drive-in theater. First and foremost, I have to just say that I love the drive-ins! I wish more of them were still around. We sat in the back of my sister's friend's van (which was maybe a bit cramped...) and ate pizza and root beer floats while enjoying a film for under $5 (Tuesday night special). We could have stayed for a second movie for no extra cost, but we opted out. But I had such a nice time, and I'm definitely going to miss nights at the drive-ins once I leave.

Now, I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone (so if you haven't seen it and are concerned about spoilers maybe you should stop reading here?), but basically the moral was that events and people don't change your life; you do. The main character realized that having a life-threatening disorder wouldn't make him a better person by default. He had to make the choice to change. My good friend Rachel and I have actually been talking about this a lot. Our feelings and actions are determined only by ourselves. We say that our boss made us angry, but the truth is that we chose to be angry about something our boss said/did. I've been working to take control over myself and my life. So far, it's working out pretty well. When I meet a frustrating situation, I try to take stock of the stress I'm feeling, think about why I feel that way and if it's worth it, and change my thoughts and actions accordingly. Of course, I can't change how I feel or act every time, but I'm making progress and, most importantly, I feel more aware of myself. I think it's a good thing to work on.

I've also been trying to make a huge effort to be early/on time, as I had gotten into the habit of being late.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I love coffee. And both keep me going! <3