09 April 2011
Long distance can be hard, especially when months can go by without so much as a visit. Jonty & I do pretty well to talk to each other often, send goodies in the mail, & remind each other how much our relationship means.
However, thanks to this little post by a fabulous gal I know from high school, we have taken our relationship to the next level: Skype dating.
Our typical Skype date goes like this: We make a meal (or a dessert) together, then eat it while watching a movie. The above photo was our first one. We made kebabs & rice then watched Equilibrium with Christian Bale. Jonty & I didn't make the exact same thing - I had Mediterranean haloumi & veggie kebabs with mixed couscous, while he had chicken & veggie kebabs with rice - and of course mine was more delicious. But we really enjoyed pseudo- spending time together.
Nothing can replace snuggling up with your loved one, but if you're away from your beau, here are my tips for a good Skype date:
* Try to schedule it when nobody else is at home, so it's just you two.
* Make the same meal, preferably a recipe you've never made before. That way, you can do each step together, rather than just cooking/baking at the same time.
* Pick some good music to play while cooking/baking.
* Sync the films up at the beginning. It will be worth it.
* Watch the film on a TV, not your laptop (if possible).
* Turn down the computer's volume enough to cancel out the doubling effect of the other movie playing but high enough that you can still hear the other person if they want to comment.
* Keep the text chat up as well.
* Remember that nothing can live up to the real thing, but appreciate the experience.
Skype on, & have a great weekend!