Lately, I've been going a bit tuna crazy. The fish is an easy, light lunch option, & it's just so tasty & versatile! Here are some of my favorite ways to eat tuna:
* Kiddie sandwich (a favorite in childhood): tuna with mayonnaise &/or light plain yogurt, slices of cheddar cheese, dill pickles.
* Adult sandwich: tuna with ranch dressing, tomato slices, alfalfa sprouts, lettuce. (Also delish with mayo/yogurt & lemon pepper, instead of ranch.)
* Fancy sandwich: tuna with pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, provolone cheese, lettuce.
* Tea sandwich: tuna with mayo &/or light plain yogurt, lowfat cream cheese, cucumber slices.
* Tuna melt: tuna with mayo &/or light plain yogurt, cheddar or colby jack cheese. Made like grilled cheese (pan-fried or grilled).
* Waldorf tuna salad: tuna, a dab of light plain yogurt or mayo, diced apples & celery, raisins.
* Garden tuna salad: tuna, a dab of light plain yogurt or mayo, cucumber, red or yellow bell pepper, red onion (optional). Served on a bed of lettuce or spinach.
Be creative. But don't go too crazy, though, because canned tuna often contains mercury, which is fine in small doses but can be harmful if too much in ingested in a small period of time, especially for pregnant women and children. To avoid this, buy "light chunk" tuna, and don't eat it more than once or twice a week. (This is advice I haven't followed this week... oops!)