19 January 2010

My New Obsession: Flash Mobs

Welcome to my new love: flash mobs. I've generally heard of the idea before but last week while procrastinating my essays I stumbled upon the website for Improv Everywhere (the original flash mob group) and have been obsessing over it and other related sites/videos/stories ever since. The basic premise is this: Do random (but coordinated) things on the street (or subway, supermarket, etc). The About Me section on the site sums it up better than I can: "Improv Everywhere causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places. Created in August of 2001 by Charlie Todd, Improv Everywhere has executed over 100 missions involving tens of thousands of undercover agents." Improv Everywhere is just one group that does this, based in New York. The creator of the site has a blog called Urban Prankster, which tracks other flash mobs, pranks, participatory art, etc.

Here are some of the videos I've found that show Improv Everywhere's array of amazingness:

No Pants Subway Ride (an annual event!)

I Love Lunch!: The Spontaneous Musical

Frozen Grand Central

These "pranks" are great because they make people think twice. They're art in everyday life. Can you imagine being a bystander in one of these events??

Yesterday, some friends & I decided we're going to plan a mission. Wherever you are, if you want to join up with a group in your city or start your own go here, join the site, and find the group for your location. In the UK, you can also check out this site, & in Bristol specifically go here.

Great, now I have "I Love Lunch" stuck in my head... ;.)

<3

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog about the flash mobs, I'm fascinated by the way Improv Everywhere have created and are continuing to create.

    Kind of inspiring isn't it? Makes you think about the parameters of art, and what you can do within an everyday environment.

    Good luck with the writing for the masters :) I like your NY resolution. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love coffee. And both keep me going! <3