04 January 2011

Books of 2010

Happy New Year, my lovelies! I feel so good about 2011. I think it's going to bring such great things!

I've been thinking about books a lot lately, especially since I got a Pandigital Novel (similar to a Kindle) for Christmas. It's pretty exciting! I'm mostly stoked to have less in my suitcase on vacations & to carry it around instead of my laptop for internet use. However, I'm not going full-out to the digital, as there's something irreplaceable about the old-fashioned hardcover or paperback. Plus, I have lots of books on my shelf that I still haven't read! But my first purchases on my new eReader might be one of The Job Snob's top ten books of the year.

I wish I could say I read loads of books last year, but with grad school going on for eight & a half months of it, the list is relatively short (unless you count academic books). However, I've decided to write it out anyway, with some comments. I'm very happy to say that I finished my final book on December 30th, which was a great end to the year. Anywho, here it goes!

1. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer


Breaking Dawn, the final book of the Twilight series, was a step beyond the first three of Stephenie Meyer's books - I still haven't decided which direction that step is in. It's strange, complicated, & a bit bizarre. It wasn't my favorite (Eclipse was!), I did enjoy it.

2. All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab


This book was written by a friend's sister. I think it's classed in the Young Adult section, but it was a great, simple read for when I was in the midst of academic work. The main character, Neily, feels alone in his school, ever since just before his best friend and ex-girlfriend, Carly, was killed. Neily looks for Carly's killer & for some peace. The characters were interesting & likable, there's a good twist, & while it wasn't incredibly intellectually satisfying, I would recommend it for anyone wanting a quick, easy read.

3. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden


For some reason, I didn't expect Memoirs of a Geisha to be my favorite book. I suppose it's because, with the exception of The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama, Asian cultures have not necessarily been an interest of mine. However, I couldn't have been more wrong. This was a beautifully written, intriguing book that everyone - at least every girl - should read. And the fact that a man wrote the life of this elegant woman is that much more impression.

4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson


A page-turner with unique characters, it's no wonder that this book is so popular. I must advise, though, that there are some very graphic, difficult-to-handle sections in this book. I read one of them late at night & had trouble going to sleep. So if you have trouble with violence - especially against women - I suggest you read this in the daylight!

5. Chocolat by Joanne Harris


This book was another light one - great for reading at the gym. It was heartwarming, delightful, & delicious - & made me crave dark chocolate all the time!

6. Catch-22 by Joseph Harris


It took me absolutely forever to finish this book, & I dare say that I think it was too long. However, it was very ironic, which made it incredibly interesting to me. I wish I would have read it for a class or a book club so I could discuss the themes with someone. And I wish I had kept a notebook with me while reading it for all of the witty quotes!

I've also been dabbling in House and Philosophy, which has been interesting & fun.

I already have a reading list started for next year, too:

1. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
(Christmas present from Jonty. 100 pages in, & it's already better than the first in the series!)


2. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson


3. The Hobbit & The Fellowship of the Rings trilogy


4. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
(Christmas present last year, & I still need to get on it.)


5. The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers


What did you read in 2010? Any plans for 2011?

Update: I just realized that I didn't include the audiobooks I listened to last year-


* The Know-It-All by A. J. Jacobs
* Close to Shore by Michael Capuzzo
* Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
* A Defense of Food by Michael Pollan (in progress)


And planned for next year-


* The Element by Ken Robinson


Update No. 2: I also left out Julia & Julia and Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows, which Jonty & I read aloud to each other in the fall.

<3

5 comments:

  1. Good list! I read some of these this year, too. I read Memoirs of a Geisha before I went to see the movie (I always try to do this if possible) and loved it. So beautifully written. And I feel you on the not-reading-as-much-as-I-wanted-to-due-to-school front (and I didn't even have grad school to deal with! Just regular college). I always feel so guilty reading for pleasure during the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I always felt like if I was going to read, why wasn't it for school? It helped me to just keep an easy read by my bed :.)

    I watched Memoirs of a Geisha after I read it. Not too bad of an adaptation, but nothing could capture the beauty of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good collection of books! I pretty much want to read them all. Then we can chit chat about the goodies and baddies of each. You have such a knack for picking good books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Steph!

    Jonty- How could I forget that we just finished reading HP 7 to each other?!? Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love coffee. And both keep me going! <3