11 August 2009

Real Life

I've been thinking lately about how much time we wish away. It is much too common for someone to think, "I can't wait until work is over so I can get on with my real life." But work is part of real life. And so is waiting in line at the post office. And cleaning. And changing the oil in the car. All of these things that we see as obstacles to our real life ARE our real life. We can't escape them. And why should we want to? Life would be pretty empty if all it consisted of was watching TV, hanging out with friends, and sleeping. In the book Summerland by Michael Chabon, there is a quote that I very much like: "Nothing is boring except to those who aren't really paying attention." If we pay attention, we can cherish our day at work, and be thankful for the opportunities that we have and the people that we interact with. We can even enjoy our time in line at the post office by enjoying the quiet of the shop and observing the other people around. We always hear from those older than us that life is too short, but very few of us take that to heart. We shouldn't wish away our precious moments because they aren't just obstacles in the way of our real life; they're part of it.

On a lighter note, I have decided that I really like Paulaner hefeweizen with a bit of lemon. It has such a light yet pleasant flavor. On my way home from the River Cats game tonight, I stopped and had one with some new friends. It was delish. Doesn't this just look refreshing?


[image from Brewtopia Events]

It's time to finish the never ending book. I'm determined. It's getting good too!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I love coffee. And both keep me going! <3